Several of the world’s most famous sporting competitions, as well as thousands of public spaces worldwide, use equipment that has been made in Skellefteå. Smart management and astute investment have contributed to the gold medal export success of Nordic Sports, Latitude 64 and Fugu Sports. Nordic Sport is one…
Welcome to Skellefteå - we make great things happen!
Skellefteå is growing! Today, 72,000 people live in Skellefteå. By 2030 we will have 80,000 inhabitants. About 2,200 people a year choose to move here. To reach the goal, 4,000 new homes and 4,000 new jobs are needed. That’s why Skellefteå is so busy today and why we are investing heavily to develop the municipality.
With good access to renewable energy, good transport links and abundant natural resources in the immediate area, Skellefteå is optimal for new industrial establishments.
- Skellefteå owns its own energy company, Skellefteå Kraft, which produces 100% renewable energy.
- World-leading scrap electronics recycling facilities. Copper, gold and silver are extracted from this waste material.
- Skellefteå is a Nordic leader in terms of biogas and converting food waste to biogas.
- 480,000 hectares of forest create the conditions for a strong wood industry with great experience, knowledge, and skills as well as advanced research in wood technology.
In Skellefteå, there is great energy in the people, the business community and the municipality – the entire community. This energy drives us!
- Skellefteå has access to relevant expertise to meet companies’ future needs.
- Campus Skellefteå is an extension of two universities, Luleå University of Technology and Umeå University, and the state research institute, RISE, SP Trä, and SP Energi.
- Skellefteå has deep experience of export-heavy and large-scale industries and the expertise to operate them sustainably.
- In Skellefteå there is an attractive cluster of innovative startups. The digital network, The Lodge, the innovation organization, Skellefteå Science City, and the startup-friendly environment at The Great Northern innovation and co-working house are all at the forefront of this ecosystem.
We have a vision that guides us towards a sustainable future. We are determined to get there.
- Skellefteå’s vision: A forward-looking and equal opportunities municipality, attractive to live and work in, with the goal of having 80,000 inhabitants by 2030.
- We have clear goals and strategies for growing sustainably – socially, economically and environmentally.
- Major investments are being made in culture, events and outdoor activities.